Thursday, January 2, 2014

Stylish Toy Storage

My kids are 5, 8 and 9 years old.  And while I love the ages that they are now (we are definitely in the golden years) I don't love all the stuff that comes with them.  We are settling in after the big Christmas holiday and finding ourselves with even more toys!  What to do?



The smart thing would be to go through everything and get rid of whatever toys they don't play with.  But have you ever tried to get your kid to part with one of their toys?  Even if they haven't played with it for 3 years they will cling to that toy as if their life depended on it.  I am partly to blame here, too.  My 8 and 9 year old may have outgrown some of their toys, but my 5 year old is just reaching the right age for that particular toy. 

So until I get rid of the toys, I will need some stylish way to store them, that will enable my kids to get at them (and put them away) and for me to not hate whatever room they are stored in.

Join me in my "research" of some stylish toy storage solutions, won't you?

The way I see it, there are two roads to take here.  Embrace the kid-filled house that you have and the toys and bright colors that go along with it, or work at hiding and disguising all the toys so that it looks like a "grown-up" room.

For "Kid Friendly" Rooms





 




6 Tricks of Keeping The Young Family Member to Always feel Like Home: Glamorous Kids Friendly Living Room Filled With Toys













Grow-Up Spaces (i.e. toys hidden)



DIY rolling toy storage crate








 






So which style appeals to you more? Maybe a mix of both is the answer...not all out mayhem, but some behind-closed-doors spaces as well.  Just remember, they're only in this stage for a short time.  I know you may not think so now, but someday you'll miss stepping on legos and seeing drawings all over the tables.  Enjoy your kids!

Source:  Michelle Schwake for Stafford Family Realtors

No comments: