Monday, October 19, 2015

Master Bedroom Getaway


I used to wonder what all the fuss was about a big master bedroom suite.  I mean, you have several other rooms in the house.  Why would you want to spend all that time in your bedroom?

And then my kids got bigger.

Don't get me wrong.  I love my kids deeply.  But I don't always love what they watch on TV.  I don't always love the music they want to listen to.  And I don't always love the brotherly/sisterly banter (nice word for fighting) that seems constant.  Plus, they are staying up later than me now.  I need my own space!

Suddenly, my bedroom is looking much more attractive.  Yes, we have family time, yes I'm involved in their lives, and yes, I'm there for them when they need me.  But I also need some space for me and my husband to simply chill away from the noise and constant demands of the family.

Therefore, I am revising my previous position and can now see exactly why a family would want a large master suite.  I've been shopping, people.  Here are some great features of a great master bedroom suite.

Serenity Now


The most important feature, to me anyway, is that the master suite is a calm oasis in the storm.  Colors should be calming and decor shouldn't be too obtrusive.  It should be a restful place.

Traditional Master Bedroom with High ceiling, Armstrong Flooring Oak Wide Plank (5 in. and up) Hardwood, Paint1, Carpet
Source:  Zillow Digs


Modern Master Bedroom with Threshold(TM) Seersucker Duvet Cover Set, Sunpan Modern Alexa X-Base Faux Leather Bench
Source:  Zillow Digs


Contemporary Master Bedroom with Stikwood Wall D?cor, Reclaimed Weathered Wood, slate floors
Source:  Zillow Digs


Enough Space To Sit


It's highly likely that you won't be just sleeping in your bedroom.  You'll be watching TV, reading, or just chatting together.  Make sure there's enough space for some comfy chairs so you can relax without actually going to bed.

Country Master Bedroom with Exposed truss, Capel Rugs Elsinore Honeycombs Wheat Olefin Rug, Carpet, French doors, Ceiling fan
Source:  Zillow Digs


Contemporary Master Bedroom with Carpet, Woodbridge Home Designs - Cottage Two-Tone TV Stand, A.R.T. - Blair Fawn Kidney Sofa
Source:  Zillow Digs



Modern Master Bedroom with Hardwood floors, Carpet, Wainscotting, Pottery Barn Lorraine Tufted Tall Bed & Headboard
Source:  Zillow Digs


Kitchen Convenience


Have you ever walked into the kitchen where all the pre-teens are hanging out and have the room go silent?  Only to have it resume after you leave with your soda?  Yeah, me neither.

While you don't want to have an entire kitchen in your bedroom, it might be nice to have a few conveniences.  Maybe you like coffee first thing in the morning - a coffee maker with some mugs might be your thing.  Or maybe you like popcorn and a soda while you're watching a movie in your room.  A mini-fridge and a small microwave might be the perfect solution.


Source:  pinterest.com

Source:  hgtv.com

Source:  search.har.com

What NOT To Have


There are a few things I'd recommend that you do not put in your master bedroom.  A home office needs it's own separate space, not connected to a spot where you are trying to relax.  Likewise, exercise equipment should be somewhere else in the home.  Remember, your bedroom is your place to relax and rest.  Keep it the sanctuary it was meant to be.

Source:  landisconstruction.com

Source:  2516wingdale.com

Source:  Michelle Schwake for Stafford Family Realtors

No comments: