Monday, November 2, 2009

Skol Vikes???

Welcome to the Land of 10,000 + lakes and the adopted homeland of Swedes, Danes, and all other breeds of Scandinavians. With the Vikings defeat of the Packers (yet again) over the weekend, SKOL VIKES was the phrase on people’s lips. Which lead me, a transplant from Missouri (and a non Scandinavian) to ponder what the meaning of this foreign term was?

Much like lutefisk, I didn’t quite understand and being full of useful/less information as I am, I set out to learn. Here is what I found:

Skol is the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish word for a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group.

Lyrics to the Vikings Fight song:

Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down,
Then get a touchdown.
Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You'll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol, Vikings, let's go


So I must say, Skol Vikings! Enjoy your bye week, it was well earned!

No comments: